Pages

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Who is that stylish lady?

My mom taught me to sew when I was 7. It was not a common hobby for my generation but I loved it! My earliest sewing memory is making handkerchief blouses that were successful enough to sell to my fellow fifth grade friends! It was an early introduction to the pride of handcrafting which continues to this day. Today, my daughter enjoys helping with the cutting and sewing is always very proud when she wears a "made by mama" outfit! While on vacation in Michigan last week, my mom introduced me to her favorite craft store...Archiver's. When I saw this Sew Stylish set there, it was a must-have! OMG! I was in heaven at that store. It's probably a good thing there isn't one in Florida, LOL!

The color combination is a little out of my comfort zone but I actually like it and think it works well with the images. The Crumb Cake base was stamped with Versamark using a companion stamp made up of pattern pieces. Might be able to see it better here:

I stamped the oh-sew-stylish lady in Chocolate Chip on a Very Vanilla Top Note and sponged the edges with a little cat's eye ink pad (sorry can't remember the color and I'm too tired to go get it right now!) Her outfit was colored with a Real Red marker with a few "white" spaces peeking through to highlight the "fabric" and show
movement. In my head her suit is a plaid wool boucle (a la Chanel) and I think the Square Lattice impressions folder on the Night of Navy cardstock evokes the texture of my imaginary fabric.

Lastly, you can't sew without a tape measure so I stamped the measuring tape image from this set on a strip of daffodil delight and created my own measuring stick! And I love the little bit of chocolate PTI baker's twine threaded through the fun yellow button. (Thanks Mom!)

Thanks for stopping by and indulging my little trip down memory lane. Have a great day!

supplies:
stamps: sew stylish & make your own (hero arts)
ink: chocolate chip, versamark
paper: crumb cake, very vanilla, night of navy, daffodil delight cardstock
xtras: top note die, square lattice impressions folder, baker's twine (PTI), real red stampin' write marker,

7 comments:

Christina said...

LOVE this, Nance! At first I thought you had used a block of fabric until I realized it was the square lattice-brilliant idea! And the stamped measuring tape and yellow button are super cute. You've just made me miss Archiver's even more.... {sigh}

Renée said...

Love this card! The design is fabulous!

Nancy said...

I think it's "Jackie O", don't you! Sew creative (sorry, couldn't help myself). I love reading your descriptions of the cards you make I think you could be an excellent author or storyteller in addition to card maker. My absolutely favorite item is the tape measure it's so real looking, of course the stamp set is a keeper as well.

Linda Callahan said...

Your mom took my line! I was going to make up a Jackie adjective :) Great style - and the fact that you can sew as well as create cards is too much to take in! My poor husband sews his own buttons back on - sad but true.....Love the uniqueness of this and I did think it was a real tape measure....

LeAnne said...

Oh my, this makes me realize I haven't stamped anything sewing-related in a while. LOVE this stamp set--you & I have more in common than just stamping, I see! I learned when I was ten--between my mom and 4H, I sewed up a storm!!! Now with a granddaughter coming, maybe I'll do some again, as my sewing machine is pretty dusty right now! Awesome card, I just love it all!

Diane - oliver.mdiane@comcast.net said...

Nance, great card. Love the square lattice & button & tape measure, but I especially like the way you left the white space in the fabric. so very cleaver and so cute. I too used to sew, but unlike you I don't miss it a bit. I just don't have the patience anymore, so I just admire other's work.

jaydee said...

Oh, Nance! You took me back in time - I remember, with fondness, those cape jackets and the hairstyle! The tape measure and button are THE perfect accessories for this card. Just wonderful.
thanks so much for inspiring us
hugs
jaydee